Eagle gate salt lake city utah history

Historical pic of eagle gate salt lake city

If we are visiting the Salt lake city then you cant miss the most  prominent landmark of history which is 150 years old and still serving as the symbol of rich history is Eagle gate of salt lake city .It was built in the year 1859 with the motive that it will serve  entrance to the Brigham’s farmland and to tthe city greek canyons. Earlier the gate was not so widened but now due to over crowded and
to adjust the traffic the gate was slightly widened.

Eagle gate salt lake city

A chronological history of EAGLE GATE is as follow:

  • Originally the dimenson of gate is as follow ,the monument had 16 foot outstretched wings and rested on curved wooden arches  that used a 9 foot high cobblestone as their anchor.The eagle sat
    on the bee hive and star mount.
  • The 22 foot wide opening was adequate for wagons and then became allowed for public in 1882.
  • “The Eagle  was brought down and delivered to Chicago where it was repaired and electroplated in copper,” the story peruses. “The supporting arms of colossal wooden shafts — strengthened with press pipe — were stretched and new sandstone columns were cut and supplanted the old stone ones that same year.”
  • The Eagle Gate was repaired again in 1947 for the state’s Centennial Celebration, and plans were under route for a noteworthy enlarging in 1960 when a truck with a flatbed trailer conveying a tractor struck one of the columns, thumping the landmark off its establishment.
  • The door was brought down once more, and it was clear the bird was breaking down. The choice was made to supplant it.

For a long time there was no Eagle Gate in salt lake city.

  • Designer George Cannon Young, a relative of Brigham Young, composed another casing to help another Eagle Gate. Craftsman Grant R. Fairbanks, helped by his siblings David and Justin, influenced a reproduction of the first fowl to out of bronze with a 20-foot wingspan and 10-foot-long body.
  • The new door — the one we see today — was committed Nov. 1, 1963 by President McKay, who implored: “May the new Eagle, with extended wings roosted on its new bee sanctuary, the old divider in its new trench, and all aspects of the new steel structure get Thy divine endorsement and future assurance.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *